Transferability of course from Southern New Hampshire University

• March 23, 2018 8:11 AM
    Message # 5994194
    Anonymous

To the admissions counselors:

At our high school, one of the teachers is organizing a trip to Europe this summer.  Through the program, students have the opportunity to earn college credit through Southern New Hampshire University.  Recently, I have seen more and more commercials about them which makes me think that they are like University of Phoenix, Devry, ITT Tech, etc. and concerned about students being able to transfer the credits to the college that they will attend.  I did work in undergraduate admissions as a student worker and was told that if the credit they are trying to transfer has a course description that matches, then there is a higher likelihood that it will transfer.  

Can anyone provide some insight on this matter? I want to be able to inform my students better than just it might not transfer.

Thank you,

Sarah

• March 26, 2018 9:43 AM
    Reply # 5997749 on 5994194
    Anonymous

Hi, Sarah.

Southern New Hampshire University maintains regional accreditation via the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.  NEASC is a peer organization to the Higher Learning Commission, which serves as the regional accrediting body for institutions in Ohio (and many other states).

By state policy, public institutions in Ohio would be expected to accept the eligible coursework from SNHU as transferable.  It becomes case-by-case for private institutions and those outside the state, but I think you'd find an institution not accepting the credit to be more the exception than the norm.

Rob Drapcho

Director of Transfer, Online and International Initiatives

Ohio University

Contact us

OACAC

P.O. Box 959

Marysville, OH 43040

execadmin@oacac.org